Sunday, September 19, 2010

no one can know

Last night I ran out of gas two miles from the exit to my house. I sat in my tiny two-door compact on the side of the highway for an hour waiting for AAA. I smelled like shit. I had a growing migraine. I didn't care.

I could have called a friend at 11pm for help and been home by 11:30. I waited for AAA instead. Why? I am too embarrassed to explain how I ran out of gas.

"Well, I noticed that I was out of gas in Raleigh. I meant to stop, but I've been starry eyed and daydreaming for the last 20 miles. I went on a really good date...didn't snap out of it even when the engine stopped at 70 mph."


Let's go back 36 hours...

Friday night was nice. We talked about serious stuff and laughed a lot. He hugged me twice at the end of the night. We stood in a dark parking lot for a long time, yet no kiss. That has never happened before.

Saturday was nice. We went to a Duke football game, left at half time (see the previous post), grabbed some food, went to a book store, and then back to his place.

When we got out of the car at his house, he did not invite me in. He just held the door. In his kitchen, he did not offer me a drink. We just stood there awkwardly talking and still not touching. Or even standing near each other. We then moved into the living room (still with no drinks) and sat on the couch not touching.

Both of us were covered in salt and nastiness from sweating at the Duke game. We stank. We were tired. I finally held his hand because he was not making a move. And then everything changed.

He is a good kisser. My doubts about his feelings for me were erased over the next hour. We kept our clothes on and will continue to do so until I figure out if he generally likes boobs on his couch or if he really likes me attached to my boobs anywhere. But the meek little theology nerd is a very, very good kisser.

And that is how I ran out of gas two miles from my exit at 11pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment