Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day Five- still no men!

I remember the first time that I heard the song, "Hey Jude." I was probably in middle school and I cried. No clue what the song was about, but I cried. To this day, I cry every time that I hear "Hey Jude."

I love the show "19 Kids and Counting." If you haven't had the honor, it is a TLC documentary about this cultish family where the parents have 19 kids that all look alike. My past life experiences help me to recognize the religious pressure behind the eerily calm and fake cheerful way that they talk. There is little plot. I love that half hour every week and have no clue why.

Confession time is over. Now for life updates.

I still love my sabbatical. This week I built up to 5 1/2 laps swimming at the pool. Do you know what a miracle that is? Rich kids took real swim lessons when I was little. We weren't rich. Now I am in an adult class full of women just like me. We all know how unnatural it is to put your face in the water while swimming. There is a reason why Jesus just walked on the water. He knew that the freestyle stroke simply isn't normal. Now swimming is my personal project. I am having a blast trying to overcome all of my natural instincts.

I proudly walk out of the locker room in my cheap Wal-mart swimsuit, lower my fat old body into the water, and splash my way down a swim lane. I have no shame when I stop at every end to catch my breathe. I love it. I even leave the pool bright red and beaming after only 20 minutes in the water. Maybe one day I will build up to 10 laps--even keeping my face in the water for the bulk of that.

In the meantime, I have a very respectful 15 year old instructor who calls me by "miss" and doesn't laugh at me....at least to my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment