Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The splits

I stretch every night while watching TV.  My goal is to be able to do a complete straddle in a year's time.

Why?  I have no fucking idea. 

I think it is related to turning 35 and remembering that the last time I thought I was really awesome was when I was 6.  At six years old, my sister was taking dance and tried to do the splits.  Her cool older friends would come over and they would stretch and try all afternoon.  I quickly learned that doing a full straddle and touching my nose to the ground made me really awesome.

I spent the entire year doing a straddle for anyone who would watch.

I was awesome.  I want to be awesome again. 

It was a triumphant moment when, after only a week of stretching, I moved my legs past 90 degrees.  I am still far from awesome. 

The excellent side effect is that I stretch better while warmed up, so I now ride my stationary bike every night.  I never rode it to burn calories or get healthy, but it seems worth the time if it will help me to do the splits.

(Yes, I know that I am batshit crazy.  If the crazy is leading to healthier living, embrace it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment