Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Back in the Saddle


Back in the saddle again seems like a horrible metaphor for getting back into the dating world after a 3 year hiatus.  I've seen people get back in a saddle.  There is not nearly as much nausea as I am experiencing.

Maybe a better phrase would be "back on the roller coaster" or "back in the undertow."

Today I sent my number to two different men from dating websites.  I've been talking to both for a couple of weeks now and have broken all of my safety rules about meeting someone before giving out personal information.

Why? 

I am now chickenshit.  I don't have the energy or desire to set dates and drive an hour to meet a complete stranger.  Those dates are full of adventure.  They are also really draining and disappointing.  I ain't got time for that shit.

So, after a nice little pep talk, I sent my number to a couple of people who seem like harmless starter men.*  I immediately wanted to throw up. 

Starter 1:
A divorced father of two who makes doors for a living.  His hobbies include being a redneck and not using punctuation.  He already offered to drive 1 1/2 hours to meet me in my tiny town.  I declined, but gave him my number to buy some time.

Starter 2:
A man who claims to be an engineer who makes good money, but whose writing skills reflect that of a Radio Shack employee.  He seems nice, but his only picture is in a sweater that is so ugly, I hope it is a joke.  He is black and loves his momma, so I have overlooked the unfortunate sweater.

Can I even find my sexy clothes anymore?  I guess I'll find out in the next month or so.

*A starter man is very similar to a rebound.  They seem nice and may make a good diversion, but nothing about them says that they are the men of my dreams.  Neither of today's starter men can spell or write in complete sentences.  Texting will be painful.  I hope to practice on these men (not in bed) so that when I meet someone awesome, there will be a better chance that I won't sweat through my shirt on the first date.

No comments:

Post a Comment