Monday, May 10, 2010

I am NOT a workaholic

Last week was one of those busy, busy weeks. There were no interesting experiences or life-defining moments. I simply worked. A lot.
The only memories that I have of 9 days are of going to work and sleeping. Other things happened, but they must not have been important. My big life projects continued- I drank a few green shakes, swam a few times, and still didn't date any men.

Still, it is Tuesday and I feel robbed. Almost ten days of my life slipped away.

I am not a workaholic. It is a strong American value that anyone worth a shit should work hard and want to work harder. I live in a community where people work 12 hour days, go to church twice a week, volunteer, and raise their children. Oh, and the women all wake up 2 hours early to work out before their days begin. With all of their time out in the world being productive, they must look as hot as is possible!

I do not mind working hard. This month of crazy schedules and no "weekends" is not a problem. That is because I know it will end. This is a season, but it only lasts for a couple of months.

I value a different life than the one of the sainted workaholic (please note that I count volunteering and church going as part of "work" for all people, not just for pastors). It is important to work hard enough to be happy with yourself--and not to get fired. It is equally important to have time to breathe. That space to "breathe" is what happens when you go home at 5:00pm.

"Breathing" means that you are not at work physically, on the computer, or on the phone. I need a regular schedule that allows time for doing laundry, cleaning, cooking, working in the yard, swimming, watching TV, and building relationships. I actually need HOURS every day to interact with life.

The function of work is to provide us the money we need in order to live. I am not willing to sacrifice the living part of my life so that people will respect my desire to work.

What comes with this sacrifice? I am not on a fast-track to anything. I do not spend my evenings doing research or trying to be published. I say "no" and live with the judgement from others.

Judge on, world! I choose a full life over your expectations! Now I've got to get some sleep, it is going to be a long week...

No comments:

Post a Comment