Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Interns for a quarter

What is my favorite part of summer at work?  Summer interns!  Yes, these last years I have had college students or grad students who work for free (or almost free) at the church at least 10 hours a week.

It. Is. Awesome.  Even when it is horrible, it is still awesome.  Why?  I get that same thrill that I got as a kid after inserting a quarter into the toy machine while spinning that metal handle around and around.

Click.  Oh!  It is really working!
Click.  What will I get?
Click.  I hear it coming down the chute!


Oh, how I loved to lift the metal flap.  It is so exciting to open that plastic bubble and discover what wonderful or crappy prize I just bought for a quarter.  Most of the time it was some broken or unrecognizable toy from another country.  The worst was those sticky balls that were supposed to climb down your walls and just ended up leaving grease marks on the ceiling that your mom yells at you about (not that such a thing happened).  The best was jewelry.    ANY kind of jewelry.

Now summer interns are my grown up version of the toy machine.  We pay out little or no money.  They arrive.  For the first few weeks, we are still winding the metal handle to see what we will get.  It is fun to work with them, challenge them, encourage them, and see who is the star prize.*

This summer we have FOUR.  An entire dollar's worth.  Here is the line up:


The sticker intern:  He is shiney and attractive!  Everyone was excited and surprised to see him!  He started off strong saying yes to everything and acting as if he was actually listening to people talk.  Alas, the stickiness ran out and he fell to the floor.  Got another job.  We found out that smiling and nodding is a hot guy's way to say, "I have no idea what you are talking about and I am way out of my element but I am going to act cool until I just don't show up or do anything assigned to me."  Ironically, this shallow, shiney intern was our oldest at 26 years old.  He is going to a fundamentalist seminary in the fall where he will do quite well.


The bouncy ball intern.  She is the intern that everyone wants!  Watch her go!  She will never break and she blows your mind with her abilities and her joyful attitude!  Unfortunately, everyone wants the bouncy ball so she works at two other churches in addition to ours.  Like her namesake, she is awesome but impossible to find at any given moment in time.  Sharing bouncy balls sucks ass.


The plastic animal intern.  She has gifts and skills.  She is also beautiful and sweet.  This intern will always have a place in ministry because she can sing and love old people.  Like a plastic animal, you will never get rid of it but its sweetness and innocence may tempt you to take it for granted.  To truly appreciate it, you must not to look closer at the missing eye or mis-painted tail.  You are better off assuming that there is more detail and depth there than is the reality.  I love this intern, even with her flaws.



The slidey puzzle intern.  Yes, we shall not forget the puzzle with plastic squares that slide around to make an image.  Like this last intern, it is an acquired taste.  They are both very thoughtful, awkward, dorky, and easy for people to see and think "lame."  He, however, ended up being the star prize.  Why?  He never broke!  He is always available and willing!  The pastor claimed this intern for himself, as often happens when a nerdy kid finds the slidey puzzle game.  Mine!  I'm still figuring it out!  Get your own!

Summer is coming to a close and I am already starting to get that sad feeling when the thrill is over and you are out of quarters.  You got what you got and you'll lose it in a month or so anyway.  Except that "it" is a human being.  With whom I've built a relationship.  And who was not made in China...at least no one in this year's crop.

*I am fully aware that it is horrible for a minister to objectify and judge the precious people with whom I work as if they were not significant in God's eyes.  I never claimed to be a good minister.  Good ministers have boring blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment