Monday, May 2, 2011

I need a day off from my free time

Today was one of the last days off I will have for another two months or so. Did I go to work? No. (although I am now starting a 11pm-7am shift, so "day off" is disputable)

I am still exhausted.

12:30am- a text saying "Osama Bin Laden is dead!" that didn't bring me joy but pissed me off because I got a text at 12:30am

6:00am-
wake up sweating from a nightmare about hiding babies from bad guys

9:00am- wake up from nightmare about trying to find the babies again

11:00am- wake up happy that I slept a total of 8 hours!

11:30am- Read email from my friend, the school counselor, saying that a teenage girl might give her baby up for adoption. Is my wonderful, rich, kind, and barren cousin in Texas still interested?

Noon- call mom to get cousin's phone number. Spend 1 hour listening to her tell me about my sister's relapse into alcoholism and how much she is screwing up my family.

1:00pm- resist the urge to drink because I am so depressed about my sister

1:15pm- talk to my cousin about the baby. Tip-toe and tap-dance around a huge, emotional, and life-changing topic. Listen to her cry and struggle.

1:45pm- email friend my cousin's phone number


(now I had a stretch of time in which I ate Blue Bell ice cream and watched TV in my pj's. it. was. awesome.)

5:30pm- Get a call from frantic teenager. She just had sex with her boyfriend and the condom broke. Listen to her spend 1 hour voicing all of the panic and fear that I've heard from so many other women. And myself. I agree to go to the drugstore with her tomorrow to learn about the PlanB pill and get spermicide to use with condoms.

6:45pm- Pray that I can support this kid without losing my job.

All through the day, I had to read people's comments on Facebook about Bin Laden's death. Whether they were good or bad comments, it made me feel tired just to be a human.

An adoption arrangement, a relapsing sister, and a panicky sexed-up teenager. All were accompanied by a historical bullet to the head. This day off left me exhausted. I need a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment