Friday, February 4, 2011

I hate Christians

This week I've decided that I don't want to be a Christian. This will eventually be a conflict with my career of choice. I have a feeling that this is not my first post of this nature, but it is still a problem.

Why are people such assholes? How am I supposed to love people in the church who are racists and bigots?

First, there is Black History Month. For white people who've never left small town North Carolina, Black History Month is apparently a way of being forced false history and a political agenda. I've come to resent Black History Month because it makes me realize that the people I love 11 months out of the year are actually horrible, horrible racists. I am SO SORRY that someone asked you to learn about the heroic work of people that you'd rather hang from a tree (a little dramatic, yes, but I'm pissed). How do you look a friend in the eye after they post racist comments on Facebook?

Second, there is bigotry. Two weeks ago, a gay child moved from the public school to the private school. At the public school, he was being bullied, beaten, and threatened on a daily basis. He turned to the Christian school in desperation because Christians will at least be held accountable to treat him well. Right? No. The teachers and students treated him like shit. After 2 days, he returned to the hell of public schools. This teenage boy turned to Christians for safety and found them to be more cruel than the gang members he was trying to escape.

The abuse of a gay kid hurt me deeply because kids in my youth group go to that school. The headmaster, co-headmaster, coaches, and teachers of the private school are also active members of my church. These are people whom I love and respect. They showed hate to a gay kid for being gay and used God as their excuse. "He wasn't even a Christian, he shouldn't have enrolled." Really? What about the 1/3 of your student body who is not Christian but who attend your Christian school because of other educational, social, behavior, or sports-related issues? Your 4th grade girls gave another child a dildo as a welcome present but you didn't kick them out. Would it have been different if they were lesbians?

I hate Christians. I hate that I can't shame people because they sign my paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment