Thursday, July 28, 2011

People...

People.

You should read that in an exasperated voice, as in "PEO-ple...arrgh."
Tonight gave me a little reminder that people are the same everywhere and at every age. It seems that the drama that we began practicing on the playground in the 4th grade doesn't really go away. We just change the language. This isn't news to anyone who is even slightly involved in society.


Tonight's example of people being people came in the form of the good ole' who should date whom. Me being the who and the only other single person in the church being the whom.

Me: Charming offhanded joke about people not asking me out when I walk around in public dressing tacky. This was appropriate to a conversation about a man and woman who met in Wendy's when he commented on her homemade straw necklace.

Them: "We were just talking about this. I think this is taken care of. Someone is just waiting for the right time. That is what we (whoever the hell "WE" is) think. In a year, we will be looking back at this conversation and laughing."

Me: "Um, okay. I'm not going to ask."

Now I have to change how I talk about being single. I thought I was making a funny joke that related to wearing tacky clothes. They hear such jokes as a cry for help and apparently spent quality time talking about my love life (a love life I'm not interested in right now) and deciding who is in love with me.

The "who" in question is not, in fact, in love with me. They are not waiting to ask me out because they are in love with the pretty little blonde girl at work who flirts with them daily. I am excited for the "who" and give the "who" advice on asking out the little blonde girl. There is a right moment being waited for, but I am not involved.

I did not explain this. I did not call out my friend and her "people." I allowed her the mystery and hope for something that doesn't exist.

Why? Because people will be people. Adding to the conversation adds to the playground drama. I'd rather just walk away and mutter "PEO-ple...argh."

I'd like to think that such wisdom is a perk of being in my 30's. Yes, I am a fountain of wisdom and self-restraint.

p.s. To be fair, I found myself feeling just like I did in the 4th grade with playground drama. I felt important because people were talking about me and special because they thought a boy might like me...even if it wasn't true. For other girls to THINK that a boy would like a certain girl means that the said girl must be somewhat cool. Right? Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment