Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Les Mis

In the last couple of days, I've started surrendering to this new reality of non-stop work. At this point, I am looking at a month and a half without a full day off...and the last day off was a required national holiday.

Now my thoughts are wistful memories of better times...times when my life was more than it is now. The soundtrack to Les Miserables swells in my heart...

"There was a time when my evenings were free. I went to the store and cooked my own dinner. I remember a time when my clothes were clean. I had space and will to care for my living... I dreamed a dream of friends and health. When life was more than work and sleeping. I dreamed a dream of being single and free. When hope grew strong and I didn't resent this damned-job-that-leaves-me-worn-and-feeling-like-I-still-didn't-accomplish-anything-and-I-can't-get-away-because-I-only-get-two-weeks-off-a-year-which-is-horrible-for-ministers."

Okay, so the poetic swell in my pity party fell apart there at the end. This is my busy season, but somehow the slow points of the summer never slowed this year. It is a full-throttle ride into the chaos of fall and then the pressures of Christmas. Oh, but to wait for the Spring. The blessed spring slows down...at least I think. Until then, I will always have the company of dead fictional french people.

"I dreamed a dream...."

No comments:

Post a Comment